Internet Marketing with SEO for MLM Leads – How to Do It
Internet marketing with SEO for MLM leads is a great approach to take if you are looking to expand your business and boost income.
In the MLM world, and for just about any sort of business, leads are very important. The difference between having leads and not having leads can be massive. A lead is nothing more than some contact information for someone that is interested in what you have to offer, which gives you the ability to follow-up with them again and again, in case they have cold feet the first time around.
When you get a lead, which means getting someone to give you their contact information (usually an email and/or phone number), you have just been given the ability to contact that person for free whenever you want to. This is what it's all about.
Have you ever heard of the saying 'the money is in the list'? The 'list' that this saying is referring to is an email list full of leads. And the reason the money is in the list is because this is a targeted source of massive potential that you can blast out emails to at any time you want. It is free traffic at the flip of a switch.
Would you want free leads for your MLM business?
Would you want to collect these free leads passively?
Well then using SEO for your MLM leads might be the right path for you to take.
SEO and Internet Marketing
SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimization, is just one of the many approaches to Internet marketing. One of many. Some of the other forms, which you could also use to get leads for your MLM business, include…
- Social Media Marketing - This includes any marketing efforts made through social media. This could include something as simple post promoting a MLM opportunity on your Facebook page.
- Youtube Marketing - Youtube is considered the 2nd largest search engine on the Internet and there is massive potential for marketing here. Included in the category of YouTube marketing is, of course, any sort of marketing done on YouTube. This could be simple things such as posting a link below a video or more complicated endeavors such as designing the outline of your next big video.
- PPC Marketing - PPC stands for "pay per click" in this form of marketing is when you do exactly that… You pay per click. This is a form of paid advertising and includes Facebook ads, Instagram ads, Bing ads, Google Adwords, etc.
There are other forms of Internet marketing as well, but you get the point. The point is that Internet marketing is a very broad term that many different smaller forms of marketing fall under it, including SEO.
What is SEO and how can it generate you passive leads for free? Let's get into it…
As already mentioned, SEO stands for "search engine optimization" and this form of marketing includes the efforts taken to optimize a website for search engines.
Search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing do a great job at filtering through the billions of websites that are out there on the Internet, but just because you have a website doesn't mean that you are going to be getting a ton of traffic from the search engines. This is where SEO comes into play... Where you optimize your site to get as much search engine traffic as possible.
According to the SEO Tribunal, Google gets around 63,000 searches per second at any given point of the day. People are looking for ways to scramble eggs, train their dogs, shoot a basketball, decorate their house, find a doctor nearby, and yes -- people were also looking to purchase MLM products and/or get involved with MLM opportunities.
There is plenty of opportunity out there to bring in new leads via SEO that are hungry for what you have to offer.
How SEO Can Help
- Selling products - You can use SEO to promote MLM products online.
- Recruitment - You can attract website visitors with SEO and recruit them into the business.
- Getting leads - You can collect leads that you can later follow up with again and again, greatly increasing your chances of making a conversion -- whether that be a sale or getting someone to join the opportunity.
*SEO is just a way of getting free traffic to your website for the most part. After that, it is up to you what you make of that traffic. You could do anything from collecting MLM leads (of course), to selling your own products, to promoting someone else's products and earning commissions through affiliate marketing (my favorite), and so on.
What You Need
#1 - A Website:
First what you are going to need is a website. This is a must. And unfortunately this is a step that many people are a bit scared to take.
If you have a website already then good for you. You can start to optimize your website for the search engines by doing what I will discuss below. If you don't have a website, don't get scared. Not only are websites very affordable, but they are also not the technical hurdle that many people believe they are. There is no need for any special set of skills when it comes to creating your very own website.
Bluehost is a good place to buy your website and is the #1 recommendation by WordPress.org. You can get hosting and a free domain for only $2.95/mo. GoDaddy is another cheap option but their hosting isn't quite as good.
#2 - A Keyword Research Tool:
In addition to having a website you are also going to need what is called a "keyword research tool", which is going to help you rank high in the search engines.
Like I mentioned earlier... Just because you have a website doesn't mean you are going to get good rankings in Google, Yahoo, etc. A keyword research tool is the answer to this dilemma.
How It Works - The Process
Most of what it means to optimize your website for search engines, SEO, revolves around 2 things…
- Targeting specific keywords
- Creating good content
1) Targeting Specific Keywords
When people search for things in Google they are provided with the most relevant results that Google can muster up.
Example: If someone searches for 'how to shoot a basketball' they are going to get results for a bunch of websites explaining how to properly shoot a basketball, not who won the big game last night.
This makes perfect sense and is exactly how it should work.
But does this mean that you can just go out and write an article about shooting a basketball and expect for it to show up on page 1 of Google? Absolutely not. That just isn't how it works.
The problem here is that there are many other websites out there already ranking for this keyword and your site might have no chance of ranking. Well... I should say that it has no chance of ranking high enough to be worth it. Sure, it might rank on page 29 of Google, but who the heck is ever going to see that? No one.
You want to target specific keywords but not just any keywords.
This is where a keyword research tool comes into play.
I personally use one called Jaaxy but there are others out there as well...
*Also free options that I'll go over
With a good keyword research tool you can find out important statistics about keywords so that you can narrow in on keywords that have good potential.
Example Using Jaaxy:
Below I did a search for the keyword 'best new MLM opportunities'. This is a good example because it is a keyword that anyone in the MLM business could use to get new leads for people looking to get involved in a MLM business opportunity.
The stats provided include:
- Avg - Average search volume for the specific keyword
- Traffic - Expected traffic for the keyword if you rank on page 1 of Google
- QSR - The number of competitor websites ranking for the keyword
- KQI - The overall quality of the keyword
- SEO - The SEO quality of the keyword based on all statistics
You get all the stats you need to really analyze keywords and find ones that are good. Not only does this tool show us the amount of traffic that a keyword is getting so that you know people are actually searching for it on Google, but you also know how much competition you have if you were to target that specific keyword.
In addition to all of that, Jaaxy also provides a bunch of relevant keywords that you can target as alternatives.
Free Options: There is no doubt that the keyword research tools that cost money are better, as you can imagine. However, there are some free options.
- Google Keyword Planner - This is a keyword research tool created for use within the Google Adwords PPC advertising platform. It provides some good stats, such as the search volume for keywords, but unfortunately doesn't give you any information on the competition you will encounter for organic search rankings.
- Suggestion Keyword Finder by SEO Chat - This is a free keyword research tool that is good at providing alternate suggestions for keywords you look up. It does so by using data from Google's auto complete feature. The downside is that it doesn't give you any good statistics at all.
Relevancy Is Key
When finding a good keyword you don't just want to find a good keyword. You also want to make sure that the keyword you find is relevant.
The more relevant the keyword is to your offer, which in this case has something to do with either a MLM product or opportunity, the higher conversions you will get. This means more leads.
2) Creating Good Content
Ideally the keyword that you target should be the center of your focus. Your content should revolve around a particular keyword with every piece of content that you put out on your site (most content anyhow).
So if you are going to target the example above of 'best new MLM opportunities' then you should include this keyword in the title of your article and the entire article should be focused on exactly this.
Remember, this is all about relevance. If someone is searching Google for this keyword and clicks on your site, they are going to obviously want content that is highly relevant to what they were searching for. And if you give them that isn't very relevant... Well, then they will leave.
It's also important that you create good quality content. The days of being able to write some crappy 100 word article and rank high in Google are long past. Google is getting better at sorting out the bad content from the good and ranks them appropriately. Focus on being helpful to your readers instead of trying to make money, which is probably your end goal. If you are helpful and put out good content that, and everything is relevant... Then you will make money.
What NOT to Do
Basically anything that is a way to 'game the system' you should not be doing. As mentioned, Google is getting better at ranking quality content and even if there is a way to increase your rankings with some blackhat method, your site is probably going to be punished for it eventually. So just don't bother with anything like this.
- Keyword Stuff - This is when you either 1) cram in a bunch of keywords into some content with the hopes of ranking for all of them and getting more traffic, or 2) stuffing one keyword into some content too much thinking that it is going to increase your chances of ranking. This is unnaturally and readers aren't going to like it, which means that Google won't like it either.
- Copy & Paste - Back in the old days of the internet it was possible to copy someone else's content and outrank them. Google has got much better at finding duplicate content and if you try this your content simply will not rank. All of your content should be unique -- as in you don't copy and paste things.
- Invisible Keywords - Sometimes people will stuff their content with a bunch of "invisible keywords", which are keywords that are the same color as the background and that you can't see but Google can. As far as I know this technique might still work but I would not suggest trying it.
Write good content.
Try to deliver value.
Think about the reader and what they want.
If you do all of this then you will be fine. You don't have to be some compelling journalist or English teacher to write good content and rank high in the searches.
Pros & Cons of SEO
- Free - Getting ranked in the search engines and getting traffic is completely free. other than of course you have to pay for a website and such.
- Targeted traffic - As long as you keep everything relevant, you can get extremely targeted traffic that is looking for exactly what you have to offer.
- Passive lead generation - One of the awesome things about getting ranked in search engines is that, once your rank, you can stay ranked for an indefinite amount of time… Which means that you can keep getting traffic and generating leads over and over again from a piece of content that you wrote one time.
- Takes time - There it is always a sacrifice to has to be made. What it comes down to in most cases is either time or money. There are ways, such as PPC where you pay for traffic, that you can get traffic instantly, but of course these ways cost money. Then there are ways to get free traffic, but these usually take much more time. Getting your website up and running, putting a bunch of unique content on it and getting a steady stream of traffic can take a good chunk of time.
- Takes work - And of course it takes work… Real work.
Before you go out and focus a bunch of energy on building a website and creating content, you first want to make sure that you are focusing your energy in the right direction.
The first thing you should do is sit down and really think about who your target audience is.
Think about who can benefit from your opportunity. What type of people are looking for opportunities like this?
If you write a post, going with my above example, about "best new MLM opportunities" then the people looking for this type of information are probably looking for a way to earn money, which is the reason most people join MLM businesses in the first place. Or possibly because they need a more flexible job.
Now if someone were to come to your website through a post you wrote about "best health & wellness MLMs", then this audience is probably looking for both money and health. They want a MLM opportunity and they want to live a healthy life, as well as help others achieve the same.
In any type of marketing it is key to understand your audience.
What to Do With Your Leads
Assuming that your leads consist of people's emails (they can be phone numbers too, but email is the most common), it would be in your best interest to invest in an autoresponder software.
Autoresponders like Aweber and Getresponse give you the ability to blast out emails to mass amounts of people. So if you have a list of 1500 leads, you could send out an email to all of them at once.
What you can also do is set up follow-up messages that are sent out to them in sequential order after they opt in to your email list. This way you can follow up with leads again and again with a completely automated process.
The whole point of this article is about getting leads through SEO and the whole point of getting leads is to be able to continuously contact people and market to them, as well as help them out.
Forget about using SEO to collect leads. Find out why affiliate marketing is a better choice than MLM.
SEO is what I do. I've been working online since 2015 and SEO this my primary method of marketing. While I don't market for MLM leads in particular, it doesn't really matter. The SEO side of it all is still the same no matter if you are trying to collect leads, sell products, etc.
While results with SEO vary greatly, I can give you some very general expectations as far as how long it might take to start seeing some results.
As I said, this will take time. Between the period of 1 to 3 months, you probably will see little to no results. Sure, your website will be coming along and if you put in the work you will see a lot of progress as far as how your website looks good in the amount of content it has, but you will not see much results when it comes to traffic and lead generation.It can take a while for Google and the other search engines to gain your trust. They will not rank new sites right away. You can write the greatest content ever and target the best keywords possible, but if your site is really new, you just won't see positive results right away.
Keep putting in the work and if you do things right then everything will work out. Hang in there. You will likely see some traffic start trickling in and by the 3 month mark there should be some noticeable progress.
By 3 months or so your site will be getting noticed but it will still be in the early stages. By 6 months your site should be pretty well respected, if you put out good quality content, and by this point it should be getting some good traffic, which in turn means good leads.
This is pretty much all I can tell you because the amount of traffic you are able to get and the resulting amount of leads depends on all sorts of variables, such as...
- Keyword competition
- Keyword search traffic
- Keyword and content relevance
- Content quality
- Offer relevance
- And more
Recap & How to Get Started
So the process is like this:
- Start a website (you should have an idea of who your target audience is beforehand)
- Use a keyword research tool to find targeted and relevant keywords
- Create good content around your keywords
*The actual collecting of your leads can be done in a variety of ways.
It does take time and it does take work, but SEO is a great marketing strategy for getting MLM leads. Ranking in search engines gives you the ability to get free highly targeted traffic... And passively!
And besides MLM leads. SEO can be used for a number of marketing goals. I personally make a living combining SEO with affiliate marketing [learn more here].
If you are looking to take your lead generation to the next level and don't have a website, you should seriously consider starting one.
Anyways... I hope you enjoyed this article and found it helpful. Leave any comments or questions below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can 🙂